Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Jury duty - Day 1 update

Okay, today was pretty uneventful.

I sat in the jury holding cell waiting for my section to be called for questioning and was finally informed at 10:30 AM that my group was free to go.

Apparently, the case that we could have been assigned to was settled that morning, as the judge informed us is often the case.

It's possible the defendant realized that his case was not radically important (e.g., he's mad because he got a speeding ticket in a school zone in the middle of the night . . . frustrating, but not an issue that should actually go to court), and he took the plea bargain. We were told after being sworn in that sometimes just our presence in that room is enough to move court cases through the system. So it wasn't a shock to hear that I've been dismissed for the day.

In a nutshell, I'm still on-call, and although I won't have to return tomorrow, I'll call into the hot line tomorrow night to see if I need to show up on Thursday.

It may be that I never serve. The good news is that I still get paid for today and for every day that I'm called in. So far, I've made a whopping twenty-five dollaroos! Hold me back, I'm in the money now.

(Sigh) . . Oh well. I don't know if I'll ever see the inside of a court room. I came close today, but so far I'm still just a potential juror, waiting to see if I'll get to have my 15 minutes of fame.

Stay tuned for more . . . .

No comments: